9-1-1 Season 7 Thoughts
Dec. 8th, 2024 04:10 pm+ The cruise ship disaster is exactly the fun ridiculous nonsense I want from this show.
+ Bobby and Athena's tearful maybe last moment together confession scene was so so overdone and over-dramatic - in a bad way. I found the writing kind of terrible.
+ It would have made way more sense for Julian to go with Bobby to find the boy. Cruise ships are huge and easy to get lost in even when they're right side up. Sure, Bobby has to be the hero and I get why they wanted to keep Julian with Athena since their scenes were wrapped up in each other, but on a practical level it just didn't work for me. I don't buy Bobby finding his way so easily. Plus Julian dying to save the boy would have worked much better.
+ I was disappointed when the pilot was Tommy instead of Lucy. Everything about his appearance especially that last moment with him and Buck read as if it was meant to be Lucy. It makes me wonder if she was meant to be in the episode but there was some actor scheduling conflict.
+ I don't necessarily blame Hen for the call she made. I agreed with her priorities. In the end she was right (the driver was impaired) and right (she followed protocol exactly), and there wasn't actually anything she could have done to save him. But at the same time she was wrong (she was mad at the drunk driver and that affected her decision in how to treat him) and wrong (in walking away and not forcing the issue more). She gave up treating a patient because she was mad and blamed him, and as a first responder that's not okay. More, Chimney wanted to continue to try and treat him and Hen didn't let him as his boss. So yeah I don't think she should have been fired, but I do think she seriously needed to look at her actions more. She was pretty certain she was right in a way I found concerning.
+ I knew going in that Buck was going to realise he was bi in a later season but I was expecting a slow build up. During the jealousy episode I was like 'hmm is he going to realise that he maybe wants Tommy's attention for himself' and then bam kiss and a date??? That kind of felt like it came out of nowhere even expecting something. I guess it was because I was expecting a slow build of him realising his feelings and not getting that that made it too abrupt for me? They threw in one episode of him being uncertain but then it was smooth sailing, which I guess in a way is nice. I don't need soul searching and angst. It just throws me how easy and quick it all was.
+ I liked the reactions of the rest of the team. I especially liked his talk with Maddie, and Eddie's reaction. Eddie going to "Tommy's gay?" first made me laugh.
+ Chimney taking charge of the crash site and helping to save/treat people even while losing his mind to encephalitis was great.
+ I loved getting to see the Lee's again. To see that they and Chim are still very much family. I liked the jesa ceremony for Kevin. I liked seeing Kevin again too, and that in Chimney's mind it was Kevin who sent him home.
+ A part of me has always wondered/questioned the 911 operators muting the calls when contacting other emergency services or talking amongst themselves. I understand the need but during an in-action emergency that always seemed very risky. So seeing that blow-up in Maddie's face during the stalker hostage taking was a 'I knew it' moment.
+ Athena's happy "nice to have the family all together" when the kids both came to visit was such a big 'NOPE' moment for me. Sorry but after the first five seasons I'm not buying her thinking her family is complete without Michael there.
+ The Bobby backstory with his dad was great because it made complete sense and added a very believable layer in showing who Bobby is and why he is who he is. Him idolising his firefighter dad and taking such pride in their family history, his dad being a drunk, Bobby staying with him and trying to take care of him, him 'failing' to save his dad and starting to drink right after - makes perfect sense.
+ I find it hard to believe that the firefighters asked Bobby if they wanted one of them to stay instead of just staying with him until his mom arrived. From everything we've seen firehouses are like families and on of theirs just died, leaving his young son (who found his body!) alone afterwards? No.
+ The whole Eddie/Kim situation was really messed up and yet that scene where Kim pretended to be Shannon to give Eddie closure was honestly really touching. It surprisingly worked for me after several episodes of me going WTF at Eddie. I'm glad for him that he's hopefully found closure on Shannon and thus can finally move on, and stop sabotaging relationships.
+ I have to give Kim huge props for going above and beyond. It was cruel of Eddie to use her as a substitute while letting her believe he was into. I felt so sad for her. It's clear that despite her hurt she felt really sorry for Eddie so her returning to play Shannon and give him the closure he needed was deeply kind of her.
+ I very much enjoyed the Amir storyline. I liked Amir. I liked his interactions with Bobby. I appreciate the show bringing in one of the victims of the fire and forcing Bobby to have to deal with him. I liked where things ended.
+ Bobby losing hope in large part because Amir refused to forgive him, so what was the point, was maybe understandable but also rather frustrating. I wanted to shake him a little. Forgiveness or not doesn't determine anything in the end. All he can do is what he is doing - being a better person, doing the best he can every day, helping others and making the world better.
+ There was a huge elephant in the room during every Amir/Bobby scene that I couldn't help but mentally gesture at with increasing frustration - Bobby's family. He also lost something very tangible and physical in his own wife and children. The fact that this doesn't come up makes me go 'uh but'. Especially when Amir was looking at the pictures of the family and asking if May and Harry are Athena's kids. It left me wondering: where are the pictures of Bobby's kids? Does he have any up? Amir has to know that Bobby had his own children no? Why is this never brought up????
+ I don't blame Christopher for his anger but honestly I think what makes him the most angry at Eddie is that for a second Chris probably thought/hoped that his mom was miraculously alive before reality reasserted itself. Ouch, poor kid.
+ Honestly the Congresswoman's anger towards Hen is really understandable. If you look at it one way a paramedic refused to look at her son at an accident and then he died which is pretty infuriating. Of course that ignores all the nuance (and thus elides the truth) of the situation - he was drunk/high, he caused the accident, he was being aggressive and refused treatment, his death wasn't something he could have been saved from. Either way her using her power to try and ruin Hen's life regardless of who else it hurt is not on. I am excited to see where this battle goes. I hope it involved the 118 coming together to help protect her.
+ I loved Chim and Maddie becoming emergency foster parents to Mara.
+ Bobby and Athena's tearful maybe last moment together confession scene was so so overdone and over-dramatic - in a bad way. I found the writing kind of terrible.
+ It would have made way more sense for Julian to go with Bobby to find the boy. Cruise ships are huge and easy to get lost in even when they're right side up. Sure, Bobby has to be the hero and I get why they wanted to keep Julian with Athena since their scenes were wrapped up in each other, but on a practical level it just didn't work for me. I don't buy Bobby finding his way so easily. Plus Julian dying to save the boy would have worked much better.
+ I was disappointed when the pilot was Tommy instead of Lucy. Everything about his appearance especially that last moment with him and Buck read as if it was meant to be Lucy. It makes me wonder if she was meant to be in the episode but there was some actor scheduling conflict.
+ I don't necessarily blame Hen for the call she made. I agreed with her priorities. In the end she was right (the driver was impaired) and right (she followed protocol exactly), and there wasn't actually anything she could have done to save him. But at the same time she was wrong (she was mad at the drunk driver and that affected her decision in how to treat him) and wrong (in walking away and not forcing the issue more). She gave up treating a patient because she was mad and blamed him, and as a first responder that's not okay. More, Chimney wanted to continue to try and treat him and Hen didn't let him as his boss. So yeah I don't think she should have been fired, but I do think she seriously needed to look at her actions more. She was pretty certain she was right in a way I found concerning.
+ I knew going in that Buck was going to realise he was bi in a later season but I was expecting a slow build up. During the jealousy episode I was like 'hmm is he going to realise that he maybe wants Tommy's attention for himself' and then bam kiss and a date??? That kind of felt like it came out of nowhere even expecting something. I guess it was because I was expecting a slow build of him realising his feelings and not getting that that made it too abrupt for me? They threw in one episode of him being uncertain but then it was smooth sailing, which I guess in a way is nice. I don't need soul searching and angst. It just throws me how easy and quick it all was.
+ I liked the reactions of the rest of the team. I especially liked his talk with Maddie, and Eddie's reaction. Eddie going to "Tommy's gay?" first made me laugh.
+ Chimney taking charge of the crash site and helping to save/treat people even while losing his mind to encephalitis was great.
+ I loved getting to see the Lee's again. To see that they and Chim are still very much family. I liked the jesa ceremony for Kevin. I liked seeing Kevin again too, and that in Chimney's mind it was Kevin who sent him home.
+ A part of me has always wondered/questioned the 911 operators muting the calls when contacting other emergency services or talking amongst themselves. I understand the need but during an in-action emergency that always seemed very risky. So seeing that blow-up in Maddie's face during the stalker hostage taking was a 'I knew it' moment.
+ Athena's happy "nice to have the family all together" when the kids both came to visit was such a big 'NOPE' moment for me. Sorry but after the first five seasons I'm not buying her thinking her family is complete without Michael there.
+ The Bobby backstory with his dad was great because it made complete sense and added a very believable layer in showing who Bobby is and why he is who he is. Him idolising his firefighter dad and taking such pride in their family history, his dad being a drunk, Bobby staying with him and trying to take care of him, him 'failing' to save his dad and starting to drink right after - makes perfect sense.
+ I find it hard to believe that the firefighters asked Bobby if they wanted one of them to stay instead of just staying with him until his mom arrived. From everything we've seen firehouses are like families and on of theirs just died, leaving his young son (who found his body!) alone afterwards? No.
+ The whole Eddie/Kim situation was really messed up and yet that scene where Kim pretended to be Shannon to give Eddie closure was honestly really touching. It surprisingly worked for me after several episodes of me going WTF at Eddie. I'm glad for him that he's hopefully found closure on Shannon and thus can finally move on, and stop sabotaging relationships.
+ I have to give Kim huge props for going above and beyond. It was cruel of Eddie to use her as a substitute while letting her believe he was into. I felt so sad for her. It's clear that despite her hurt she felt really sorry for Eddie so her returning to play Shannon and give him the closure he needed was deeply kind of her.
+ I very much enjoyed the Amir storyline. I liked Amir. I liked his interactions with Bobby. I appreciate the show bringing in one of the victims of the fire and forcing Bobby to have to deal with him. I liked where things ended.
+ Bobby losing hope in large part because Amir refused to forgive him, so what was the point, was maybe understandable but also rather frustrating. I wanted to shake him a little. Forgiveness or not doesn't determine anything in the end. All he can do is what he is doing - being a better person, doing the best he can every day, helping others and making the world better.
+ There was a huge elephant in the room during every Amir/Bobby scene that I couldn't help but mentally gesture at with increasing frustration - Bobby's family. He also lost something very tangible and physical in his own wife and children. The fact that this doesn't come up makes me go 'uh but'. Especially when Amir was looking at the pictures of the family and asking if May and Harry are Athena's kids. It left me wondering: where are the pictures of Bobby's kids? Does he have any up? Amir has to know that Bobby had his own children no? Why is this never brought up????
+ I don't blame Christopher for his anger but honestly I think what makes him the most angry at Eddie is that for a second Chris probably thought/hoped that his mom was miraculously alive before reality reasserted itself. Ouch, poor kid.
+ Honestly the Congresswoman's anger towards Hen is really understandable. If you look at it one way a paramedic refused to look at her son at an accident and then he died which is pretty infuriating. Of course that ignores all the nuance (and thus elides the truth) of the situation - he was drunk/high, he caused the accident, he was being aggressive and refused treatment, his death wasn't something he could have been saved from. Either way her using her power to try and ruin Hen's life regardless of who else it hurt is not on. I am excited to see where this battle goes. I hope it involved the 118 coming together to help protect her.
+ I loved Chim and Maddie becoming emergency foster parents to Mara.